Sunday, September 21, 2014

Olin Lane

When I celebrated my birthday a few days ago my only wish was for Mom and Dad to get stronger and become pain free. Talking to Dad on Wednesday morning  he sounded tired but his old self. I got off the phone believing my superhero was going to kick Grim Reapers' butt and start living his life again. Only part of my wish came true, he's finally pain free. I don't hate many people but Mr.  Reaper, you're not a nice man at all.  

Two weeks ago was an absolute blur but so rewarding to watch my parents profess their love for one another. Mom and Dad constructed a street for all of their children to walk upon. We call it Olin Lane. Please take note that this street abutts a rotary of many generations of streets, roads, and avenues attached. Our forefathers raised their children with a steady income, hard work ethics and love. 

On Olin Lane  you grew up with understanding the importance of love, honor, respect,  kindness,  unselfishness, truth, and faith. Over the years,  the road has become worn from the never-ending  foot traffic from our extended family . My heart is full  to see how each one of our nieces and nephews have grown up.  Looking  into their eyes,  I know in my heart that Olin Lane will never go away. The only time you can achieve  generations of like- minded  individuals is that the leaders had to do it right from the beginning.  This inner strength we all feel at this moment has the same goal:  Making  sure we take care of Mom has Daniel T. Olin written all over it. Personally, I want to crawl in a hole but I know it won't help anyone.  So I keep telling myself that no matter how dark life gets over the next few weeks,  it will get brighter. 

To honor Dad's legacy and for the outmost  respect  for our Mother, I will continue to walk this earth as they both did. Always looking up and taking one day at a time.  Yesterday creates our memories,  be present today and focus on the tomorrow's.  I wish I could turn back time and make this pain go away for everyone and have Dad,  Danny,  son,  brother, Grampy or Doofus at our side once again. 

On my recent  trip home,  I noticed what was once the strongest man I knew had become quiet frail. His walk was slower,  his hearing had diminished but his sense of humor was ever present . I went back and forth about crashing their lovers week.  That wasn't the case at all,  I was welcomed with open arms and the tightest hugs a parent can give their child.  Lori,  Mom,  Dad and I sat at the kitchen table reminiscing  for many hours. I happened to look at Dad and said " Dad you look really tired. Go rest and I'll  be here when you get up. His face lit up and said  'No honey,  I'm just gonna sit here and stare at you for awhile. I'm so happy right now.'" 

It saddens  me when I see families torn apart for one stupid reason or another.  I look at  my family and wonder how someone would give up this type of love for spite?  I have a true sense of love from my first memory.  This has never gone away, its only strengthen me over time. A parents love doesn't end when they're children go to college,  start a family of their own,  or spread their wings and move 3000 miles away.  I always know that no matter what, my parents and siblings  would help get me through anything. 

To Tommy, Tracy, Manny, Deann,  Lori, Markus and Duane,  I thank God that you're all in my life.  Ashlee and Wayne,  my heart is full and am completely humbled of the young adults you have become. Toni,  Paulie,  Catie,  Cassie, Owen, Chloe,  Dylan,  Justin,  MacKenzie and Sydney; I might be far away but I'm  just at a text or call away. I'm honored  to be your Auntie Lisa.  

To Uncle  Rick,  Aunt Charlene,  Aunt Linda,  Uncle Alan, Aunt  Pat, Aunt Mary and my concert partner,  Auntie Deb,  thank you for loving me like one of your own children. I'm  a better persontoday because each one of you. 

To my cousins, also known as my best friends, thanks for making sandcastles on the beach, going to Ashby,  Ferndale  Acres, Maine and Lake Winnipesaukee. Those were the best days! 

To Nana and Uncle Eddie, what started out as a family of four,  has transformed into a smaller  group. But please understand that you're both surrounded by family and friends, not just today  but always and forever.

To my dearest Mother, you're not alone and will never be. It's now time for you to start focusing on you. Your siblings, children, and grandchildren will continue to make Olin Lane the best street anyone wants to live on.  

On this day, I'm  requesting a different  wish. I wish my family love and strength. Over the next few days, do something  for yourself that makes you extremely happy. I call it 'Giving it to Danny '

Much love and respect. 

Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment